Call us now
We offer the following tips in order to help make your move as efficient as possible.
2-4 Weeks in Advance:
- Make your reservation with 1-866-U-MOVING? by clicking free quote or by calling 1-866-U-MOVING? (1-866-866-8464) x1.
- Order packing supplies and plan on packing 3 to 4 boxes per day (1-866-U-MOVING? offers competitively priced packing supplies with a money back guarantee for unused boxes)
- Clean out closets, garage, basement, attic, storage sheds, etc.
- Decide what you can live without and have a garage sale or make a donation to a local charity (if making a donation keep the receipts for a possible income tax deduction).
- Fill out change of address forms.
1-2 Weeks in Advance:
- If the affordable movers at 1-866-U-MOVING? are professionally packing your items, go through and label which room they will need to be placed in the new residence.
- If packing yourself, clearly label on the top of each box contents and to which room they will be placed in your new residence (place heavier items in smaller boxes). All boxes will need to be in good shape and have a sealed lid.
- Make plans for transportation of hazardous materials that can not be placed on the moving truck (paint, LP or propane gas from grill, portable gas cans, etc).
- Schedule disconnect dates for utilities (gas, electric, telephone, water).
- Schedule turn on dates for utilities at your new residence.
- Schedule prep of appliances for move (have washer, dryer, refrigerator, freezer disconnected) if you intend to have them taken to your new residence.
- If moving out of and/or into a building with an elevator make arrangements to have exclusive use of the elevator for the duration of your move (try to secure elevator key)to make the process easy for movers.
Week of Move:
- Pack a couple of boxes or pieces of luggage with essential items you will need right away (clearly mark box or luggage as “ESSENTIALS” to be loaded last)
- Place all items not to be moved in a separate area, room, or closet and clearly mark “DO NOT MOVE”.
- Make plans to transport any cash, jewelry, fire arms, family heirlooms, or other priceless items yourself.
- To save money on furniture movers disassemble yourself any furniture or items that will need to be taken apart prior to your move (self assembly computer desks, beds, bunk beds, standing mirrors, entertainment systems, etc).
- Empty, defrost, clean, and dry your refrigerator and freezer.